Friday, September 25, 2009

What are your favorite books?

Now, I didn't say earth shatteringly experimental or earth shatteringly important either. I said your favorites--you don't have to explain/defend yourself. Let's just assume we all have good taste!

My favorites, you know, the ones that sit on my nightstand always are:

1 & 2: Gilead and Home by Marilynne Robinson
3: The Progress of Love by Alice Munro
4: Plainsong by Kent Haruf
5: Tracks by Louis Erdrich
6: Owls and other Fantasies by Mary Oliver
7: Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
8: Servants of the Map by Andrea Barrett
9. Eva Move the Furniture by Margot Livesey
10. Solar Storms by Linda Hogan

(If I'd had 11, I would have added Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson, but you're right, must I inch closer to stalker status?)

What are your favorite books?

2 comments:

Michele Young-Stone said...

Oh no. I don't know any of these books! My favorite books, the ones that made me fall in love with the characters, the ones I couldn't put down, the ones that made infinite sense and were like serious epiphanies for me--that are always close and that I could pick up and read anytime are: I know This Much is True by Wally Lamb, The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, A Light in August by William Faulkner, A History of Love by Nicole Krauss, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller, Sula and Jazz by Toni Morrison, The World According to Garp by John Irving and The Catcher in the Rye which I think is so genius and I totally didn't "get" when forced to read it in 10th grade. Whew! I can't wait to read THE BIRD SISTERS. XO (OOPS. I didn't count. This might be more or less than ten.)

Michele Young-Stone said...

P. S. I guess I'm going to have to read some Marilynne Robinson. I'm missing out.

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."