Monday, January 3, 2011

Publisher's Weekly Review

Here it is folks. Thank you Publisher's Weekly. I held my breath the whole time I was reading it. Phew...now I can breathe again!

The Bird Sisters 
Rebecca Rasmussen, Crown, $24 (304p) ISBN 978-0-307-71796-2 
Rasmussen's debut novel begins like a typical coming-of-age story, but reveals itself to be a singular portrayal of familial sacrifice and loss. As elderly women, sisters Twiss and Milly live alone in the house where they grew up in Spring Green, Wis. They spend their days tending to injured birds and roaming their land, lost in memories. For Milly, there is the constant reminder of what could have been. Twiss spent her childhood happily trailing behind their golf-pro father, but Milly dreamed about a family and children that never happened. There was hope for a young Milly, until an accident strips their father of his golfing abilities and sets in motion a series of events that rips apart the already unstable family. Dad retreats to the barn, and mom bemoans her choice to marry for love, leaving behind her wealthy family; a cousin who was thought to be a friend becomes an unexpected rival; and the sisters are left with only each other. As young women, and as old ones, they learn that their relationship is rewarding, but not without consequence. Achingly authentic and almost completely character driven, the story of the sisters depicts the endlessly binding ties of family. (Apr.)

32 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Woo hoo! I'm thrilled for you!

Melissa Sarno said...

Great review! Your book sounds like just the kind of story I LOVE to read! Looking forward to it. Good luck :-)

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much Kathy and Melissa! I am feel tense and calm at the same time :) I only learned of this a few minutes ago by way of a writer friend who saw it on PW. I am just so grateful that the first outside review is a nice one and that my heart is in tact for the day of teaching ahead :) xoxxoxo

Mary (Bookfan) said...

This is so exciting, Rebecca! Happy for you :-)

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you, as always, Mary. I hope you are having a wonderful morning honey :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful review! Congratulations, Rebecca! 2011 is starting off with a bang for you. :D

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much, Lisa. Oh and I left a comment for you on your blog earlier (good thing I dealt w/my anxiety! Now I should write a post about the effects of positive news on the nerves: turns out I am cramping up in much the same way :)). But my heart is absolutely floating now. Love to you.

Unknown said...

What a fan-tabulous review from the very top! “…almost completely character driven…” gosh-a-mighty, that makes it, gulp, ‘literature!” Way ta go, my dear friend! MaraBuck

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you miss Mara! I am getting ready to post your wonderful words soon :)

StephTheBookworm said...

Ahhhh! I LOVE it! Congrats! <3

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you sweet Steph :) Hope your kitty is feeling better today.

Victoria said...

Rebecca, Congratulations! Milly and Twiss are absolutely amazing and your writing still knocks me out. I'm so glad this comes out before Mother's Day--the perfect gift!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much Victoria -- you reading meeting me in Spring Green and reading the book has been so special to me :)

Robin Antalek said...

YES! Lovely! You and Milly and Twiss! xxxoo

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Congratulations! Great review. You must be so excited. And I can't wait to meet Milly and Twiss.

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much Robin and Leslie! I am so excited because it was my worst fear (well one of them) that I would get a reviewer that just hated The Bird Sisters---I have ready some pretty nasty PW reviews lately.

Anyway, the morning is bright and lovely here.

xoxox me
p.s. The Bird Sisters can't wait to meet you, Leslie.

Jen Erickson said...

Oh to be "achingly authentic"! Congrats, glad those reviewer "birds" are singing you a sweet song. :)

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

That is my favorite part of the review :) :)
xoxox

Darlene said...

Yahooooooo! I'm so happy for you Rebecca! I just can't wait to read it!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you, Dar!!!! xoxox

Charlotte Holmes said...

I'm so happy for you, Rebecca! Atta woman!

RJ Jeffreys said...

Such a Fabulous Review, Rebecca! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!! I just know that The Bird Sisters is going to be an instant classic! xoxo

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you Charlotte!
And Jeff, thank you for your friendship. It means so much to me :)

Stephanie said...

Wonderful! I'm so, so proud of you! Lots of love, sweetpea. xoxo

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you, Sweet pea. You had to put up w/ me when my writing was, well, aching in a different sort of way :)

CHEZBLANCHE DESIGNS said...

Well, that is an insightful first outside review that is so great at describing what I cannot wait to hold in my hands and read!! Congrats, Rebecca! XOXO~C

Anonymous said...

What a great moment -- someone out there read your words, and took the time to carefully choose their words of response. "Achingly authentic," makes my heart ache happily for you!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Oh Amanda -- thank you so much! I was working on my blog for you today, by the way. xoxox

Alyce said...

Congratulations on the great review!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much for stopping by, Alyce. That really means a lot to me :) :) :)

xoxo!

Care said...

Awesome!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you Care!!! xox

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."