Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Starred Library Journal Review!!!!

Hello everyone! Lovely news from the wonderful Library Journal Review:

 Rasmussen, Rebecca. The Bird Sisters. Crown. Apr. 2011. c.304p. ISBN 9780307717962. $24. F
What a pleasure to become acquainted with Milly and Twiss of Spring Green, WI, as these aging sisters invite us to accompany them back to a summer in the mid-1940s when they were both at the threshold of adolescence. As their falling-apart family is in desperate need of repair, the girls try to patch up their estranged parents' relationship. Milly is as sweet as Twiss is contrary; the two have decidedly different approaches to the challenge. And both are quite taken with their older teenage cousin Bettie, who comes to spend the summer with them. Ripe with surprises, this visit will mold and shape the sisters' lives for years to come. Rasmussen's debut novel is full of grace and humanity. Her heroines are fearless and romantic, endearing and engaging, and her poetic prose creates an almost magical, wholly satisfying world. VERDICT While readers may desire to know more about the sisters' interest in "bird repair" (in their later years they tend to the needs of injured birds), this wistful but wise story is enchanting and timeless. A splendid choice for those searching for literary coming-of-age novels.—Andrea Tarr, Corona P.L., CA

13 comments:

Jessica McCann said...

What a fabulous review! Congratulations, Rebecca. Can't wait to read your book.

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Thank you so much, Jessica! XOXO

bermudaonion said...

How exciting! I have a feeling your book is going to be huge!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Here's hoping, Kathy! Thank you so much honey! Hope you're having a lovely day so far! XOX

Beth Hoffman said...

Love it! And I love Library Journal too!

Beth F said...

Yay!!! Congrats.

Sarah Jio said...

Congratulations my dear! This is a lovely, lovely review. So proud of you and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and start reading. It sounds like MY kind of story! (And, did I mention that I love birds? I have a ton of framed nest, eggs, and bird photos in my house--antique prints like the one on your cover!). Hope you're celebrating all your good praise! xoxo

esf said...

Wonderful review, Rebecca my dear. I'm so anxious to read this I can't see straight!!! xxoo

Darlene said...

...enchanting and timeless...

Wow, what could be better! Congrats Rebecca! I agree with Kathy - I think your book is going to be huge too and I for one can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

What more could you ask for in a review? They loved it, and their only "complaint" was that they wanted more of one aspect of the book! Congrats, Rebecca, very exciting.

Anonymous said...

"Ripe with surprises..." -- I completely agree. Wonderful review, Rebecca. Congrats!

Molly Mae said...

Hi, Rebecca! Congratulations on a great review. I attended your panel at AWP about first book publications, and I'm looking forward to reading it when it comes out in April.

I actually just came across your blog by accident. I'm writing an essay about cicadas and am trying to figure out the last time a seventeen-year brood came out in the St. Louis area (there's a memory of sitting with my grandma outside her house on the farm with almost deafening insect noise, and I don't know how old I was...). Anyway, I did a search of "cicadas St. Louis" and ended up here. Saw "The Bird Sisters" and thought -- hey, I remember her! Didn't realize you were living in St. Louis, my hometown.

In any case, I just wanted to say hello, and congratulations, and I'll stop by here again soon to see what you're writing!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

Hi Molly Mae,
That's so funny how you found my blog, but sounds about right, too :) Ah, cicadas. You know I remember them growing up in Illinois and Wisconsin, and I remember one crazy summer the cicadas were just everywhere and you couldn't step without stepping on their shells and you definitely couldn't sleep.

I hear them in St. Louis too, but never like that one summer!

I hope you found what you were looking for and thank you so much for stopping in and also for attending my panel at AWP! I was a nervous gal and you put up with me :) :)

XOXOX Rebecca

p.s You'll have to send me your essay when you're finished!

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."