Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer Writer's Institute

As you all know, I am teaching the Fiction Workshop at the Summer Writer's Institute at Washington University in St. Louis. It is going beautifully; I have six wonderful writers at all levels and all ages, from an Emory student to a retiree, who has been wanting to write his whole life. Each morning we set off to workshopping in a lovely old building with windows on all sides and each morning they make me want to sit down and get to work on my own writing. People don't mention this enough: the effect students have on teachers. I will be sad to say goodbye to them next week. They are instant motivation, a wonderful reminder that I can always do a little bit better in my own work.

So, for now, it's love then...

2 comments:

Tania Pryputniewicz said...

Rebecca,

sweet to remember that feeling I've missed since I've been home with my children and out of the classroom for awhile...I remember that feeling about teaching creative writing, like, someone pinch me, I'm getting paid to sit and talk about writing?! with other bright and engaged minds?!

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

I know what you mean; I said goodbye to my students today and I felt very sad :( But then I was thrilled to see my little girl when I got home...

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."

"These are the days when Birds come back/a very few/a Bird or two/to take a backward look."